Wednesday 6 February 2013

No. 1. Railway bridge over Southgate Avenue.

Number 1. Bridge over Southgate Avenue.

I had been thinking that my first post on this blog should be meaningful and significant.....but have changed my mind.
The blog is called "random" and so it should be.

This week I have been passed 2 photos that I had never seen before.
They show a place that I pass often.

Yes, a train passing over a bridge.
A bridge over a mud track.
The mud track is no more - it is a busy main road from the town centre to the A23.
The railway had long existed - since 1848.
Earth had to be cleared to allow for the new road - Southgate Avenue.
I am presuming that the road was built in the late 1950s, as the New Town developed.

Before the road, much railway work had to be completed.









With thanks to the members of the Facebook group. memories of Crawley.

No comments:

Post a Comment